Saturday, November 8, 2008

The Protests and Arguments on Proposition 8

Voicing your opinion, empowering or just whiny? It's funny how I voted yes on 8 after much consideration and without a hint of hatred in my heart for anyone, yet many people (who voted no on 8) feel the need to ignorantly attach an air of negativity to anyone who doesn't hold their position. The ironic thing about it is that they spew hatred while simultaneously repeating the clever "no on h8!"

Before I continue, Prop. 8 is being referred to as the Civil Rights Movement of the 21st Century. Really?! Prop. 8 is the Civil Rights Movement of the 21st Century?! People who are gay are suffering the black experience of the early to mid 1900s? As a whole, they're getting hosed down, raped, robbed, beaten, lynched/murdered, stripped, tarred and feathered, and forced to use sub-standard facilities apart from society? Wow! Not getting to say, "we're married!" holds equal weight to the aforementioned? Or, is it more like the Latino experience where they're currently suffering police brutality, racial profiling, deportation, absurd sentencing, wages far below minimum wage, and severe discrimination for their APPEARANCE, not their lifestyle? Hmm, Prop. 8 falls under that umbrella?...interesting.

I've previously stated several reasons for voting yes on 8, (I won't be a broken record about it) and discrimination and hatred had nothing to do with it, in the least degree. My vote was based on logic and reasoning. I could see and understand why people voted no on 8. I feel that to take an educated stance on anything, you must first be able to effectively argue all sides of the issue at hand. And, likewise be respectful of people who decide to take the opposing stance. Attack the issues, not the people. I recognize, as I feel you must have by this point, the ignorance that has almost thoroughly permeated both parties. But, enough of the soap box speech. My words seem to fall upon deaf ears. I was hoping that after the people had spoken, the issue would be put behind us. How "un-American" of me to accept the people's voice on this matter. This topic is obviously more important than, I don't know, people losing their life to actual WAR, to drug trafficking, to a prejudiced judicial system, to poverty, to mafia's and gangs, to rape, to incest, to child abuse (emotional, physical, and sexual), etc. Let's continue this discussion that really has nothing to offer me or my people. Oh, I see the error of my ways, (sarcastically) let's fight for a group of people who aren't being IMPRISONED or MASSACRED, and are doing well off in our economy and society (collectively). Let me stand behind a group of people who are warring against another group's moral stance over semantics, not rights, SEMANTICS.

Unless, someone is willing to participate in an educated exchange of ideas, I will no longer engage in a discussion that is completely irrelevant to me.

Good luck with your "struggle",
Salvador

No comments: