Sunday, November 23, 2008

Institutions, Discrimination, and God's Judgment

Prop. 8 boils down to redefining what the institution of marriage is, and whether it's traditional definition should evolve. As I've stated, I've thought it through on many logical aspects and could efficiently argue both sides (without naively resorting to character attacks). Those who argue that Prop. 8 is discriminatory are right in saying so, but not necessarily with the malicious undertones that are attached with the word "discrimination". The truth of the matter is that any and every institution is discriminatory towards one group or more. (example: Leisure World is a geriatric institution that discriminates people under a certain age, that's reverse agism) Just pick an institution and I guarantee you'll find discrimination everywhere, hmm...the discrimination argument doesn't really seem that strong now does it? Or should we go around picketing at every institution?

"Institutions are structures and mechanisms of social order and cooperation governing the behavior of a set of individuals. Institutions are identified with a social purpose and permanence, transcending individual human lives and intentions, and with the making and enforcing of rules governing cooperative human behavior. The term, institution, is commonly applied to customs and behavior patterns important to a society, as well as to particular formal organizations of government and public service. As structures and mechanisms of social order among humans, institutions are one of the principal objects of study in the social sciences, including sociology, political science and economics. Institutions are a central concern for law, the formal regime for political rule-making and enforcement. The creation and evolution of institutions is a primary topic for history." Wikipedia

The institution of marriage is a social structure that legally unites men and women with the intent to create a family and was/is not founded on discrimination, (discrimination is a natural result that comes with the fact that marriage is an institution). Now we all know it doesn't always happen that way, but I intend to uphold that ideal, regardless. I have the assurance that in my lifetime, gay marriage will be backed by our legal system. I don't agree with it, and I will never vote for it. I will just tally it up as another social blunder.

As for people calling God a jackass, you obviously don't know him or care to know him, so feel free to call him what you will. He's been called worse. Jesus Christ was crucified by a group of people who felt the way same way most of you feel right now. They saw a man that was telling them to change their behavior, and they said "we ain't changing shit!" They called him the lord of flies (Beelzebub, which implies that he rules over feces which is the major source of flies) and tried to shut his mouth by killing him. Truth is, despite the people's rebellion against choosing his "better way", he loves them and despises their sin.

People become involved in homosexual practices for many reasons. Those who feel they were born that way are not sinners for their natural attractions, sin doesn't come into play until that attraction is acted upon. I don't believe God made anyone the way they are. I believe he created humans and gave them guidelines as to how they should live, if they want to return to his presence. If you don't feel a desire to love God or even admit that he exists, so be it. I believe he is real, and when our mortal existence comes to an end and it's time for him to mete out our rewards, he will REWARD everyone according to their works. Everyone will feel that the reward they recieved was just, because God is just. Not everyone will return to live in his presence, but that does not mean that they are going to hell.

Not all christians hate homosexuals. I don't hate them, I love them, I just don't make love to them. Shame on anyone who does things to others with malicious intent. When all is said and done there is only one thing that truly matters to me. God loves us all and desires the best for us, even though we hate him for asking us to show restraint. I have natural urges to sleep with a lot of women and I'm married. I have to struggle with my sexuality as well. I have an even greater urge to kill and torture people, it almost consumes me at times (I know I got issues), but I must fight my "natural" urges to the day I die if I want to recieve a greater glory. I've asked God to strip me of these feelings, but I've come to the conclusion that this must be my obstacle to overcome, and in the end I can show him that I overcame.

always desiring for the unity in community,

Salvador

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have been waiting for over a year for another post!! did you give up on this blog??? hahaha

Salvador said...

I've just been writing papers, and haven't taken the time to copy and paste them onto my page, ha, ha, I'll post a recent paper I wrote on RACISM.