Sunday, May 11, 2014

Implementing Technology into a 21st Century Classroom

The Philosopher: These articles just confirm to me that we can't teach all kids the same way. Not all kids are the same and therefore we can't teach them the same. While most teachers use differentiated instruction, that doesn't mean that is the most effective tool for all students. In Dan Pink's article he states, "The idea that you treat everybody the same way is foolish, and yet the headwinds in education are very much toward routines, right answer, standardization" (Rose 2013). Both articles show that there needs to be a shift in education. As teachers, we need to learn right along with our students. They need to see that learning doesn't stop when you finish high school or even college, but it is something that should be done until the end of life. While people use the idea, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks," that is showing our students that one never has to change. But we, as teachers, need to show that change helps one progress and grow. Both of these articles talk about how we need to model to our students how to learn. Yes, teaching a subject is important but what is even greater than that is teaching a student how to learn. Once a teacher can master that, then that is a measure of true success. Education is a business and while it has its flaws, teachers need to show students how to work with those flaws to make them better. I try to show my students how to learn by applying what I teach them and apply it to real life situations. I try to give them a real problem and let them use the tools they have learned in class as well as their own knowledge to figure out and solve the problem. That is making them use their brains rather than me just giving them the answer. Like Chris Lehmann said, "we don’t teach subjects, we teach kids. And I’ll add to that: we teach kids to learn" (Richardson 2010). That is our ultimate goal: to teach kids to learn. If we can do that, then we have given them valuable tools that will help them the rest of their lives. The Idealist: Oh what would it be like to have no hurdles to jump as a Science teacher! My classroom would be one that all others would envy. Once you walked into my class, it would be the most high tech class. The Internet would never crash, the computers would always work and the printers would never run out of ink or break down. Each student would be equipped with their own laptop with access to all the great science stuff on the Internet. Let's not forget the laptops would be touch screen. My classroom would look more like a lab rather than a classroom. There would be the latest and greatest science equipment (robotics, beakers, chemicals, animals to dissect, telescopes, etc...) You would almost think you were in a mad scientist's laboratory. You would see kids in lab coats and goggles, taking notes on experiments they were conducting. You might have other students recording their findings on the Internet or even researching their results to possible other results they have found. You would see amazing student work electronically displayed on the walls and you would see their scientific research displayed proudly. You might walk in on a day where students would be presenting their works via prezi, the Internet, power points etc. Kids would be taking notes on the the presentations and really learning from each other. My real role would really be just to give them the starting point/prompt or idea and from there, they would take the idea and run with it, even teaching me a thing or two. The Pragmatist: Each year, I try to implement new strategies. I stick with what works and get rid of those things that don't. I plan to use the iPads more in my classroom. These have proven to be effective. I really find SplashTop to be effective in my class. They really learn when I can stop movies to explain things, rather than let them watch the whole video and then try to go back and explain. Because most students seem to be so tech savvy, I really like using the iPads in class as there are all sorts of apps that really help the learning environment. I also intend to keep using Prezi. This is something that I started implementing last year and now I try to do a prezi at least once a week. These Prezi's are a fun way for students to learn and take notes, rather than just another boring lecture. It allows them to really follow along with an idea or unit that we are studying. I also have students do prezi's so that they can teach me as well as their classmates. While my classroom is FAR from the ideal classroom, I make due with what I am given. My students might not have all the high technology that other schools have or have all the cool tools but they are learning. They are using the hands on activities they are given and really using their brains to figure out problems. They aren't just learning about science, they are learning about how to learn.

No comments: