I am not one to put a limit or condition on the human mind. I firmly believe that there is no obstacle that the human mind can't overcome. Time and experience can eventually decrease/eliminate bias. The problem with saying that everyone stereotypes is that it is a generalization, and like we know, all generalizations are inherently erroneous, including this one. Nevertheless, I could see how individuals may have an issue with a person who is tolerant and understanding of all.
First of all, there is a degree of indignation toward someone who has presumably achieved something that is thought to be impossible, and the claimer is seen as presumptuous. Secondly, there is a paradox if a person completely avoids judging and/or stereotyping. People who haven't achieved that level of understanding and empathy toward all see something wrong with this supposed unbiased person in order to attribute a flaw in their character and thus "humanize" them.
For example, an unbiased person says: "I have no problem with anyone", to which the skeptic retorts: "So, you have no problem with Hitler, and with what he did?" This is a catch-22 for the so-called unbiased individual, he/she answers "No" and they instantly become a heartless bigot; he/she anwers "Yes" and their I-don't-judge-people claim is automatically debunked. Truth of the matter is, that in life there is black and white, and all degrees of shades in between. Alfred Kinsey said it best when making a reference to male sexual behavior "the world is not to be divided into sheep and goats. It is a fundamental of taxonomy that nature rarely deals with discrete categories... The living world is a continuum in each and every one of its aspects."http://www.indiana.edu/~kinsey/research/ak-hhscale.html With that rationale, people can be categorized on a continuum, falling on and between the two extremes of being extremely (racist, biased, prejudiced, etc.) and being completely (empathetic, understanding, impartial, etc.).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment